Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Should I take hapkido lessons?

I started it at 14, have acrophobia, and have zero upper body strength. When I started I think my max bench was only like 120-ish. I have found it to be one of the most enjoyable experiences in my life. Hapkido is very complex and require actually very little strength. As a matter of fact, strength is the opposite of what you want in the class. Learning proper falling is scary to everyone at first, but nowadays it's much better. When my master started training, he did "fly or die" meaning you either got demolished, or you learned to fall. Now they're much, much more lenient. Falling takes time and effort. Many people can take years to learn proper falling, so don't worry about the fear of getting thrown, it's perfectly natural. You get used to it as time goes on and actually begin to realize that it's better to be airborne.

No comments:

Post a Comment